Happy climate news! Wind is the main source of UK electricity for first time.
- Wind turbines generated more electricity than gas for the first time in the UK in the first 3 months of 2021
- National Grid confirmed a record period of solar energy generation in April
- Offshore wind farms have been the primary source of wind power, while onshore wind turbines have been banned since 2015 in England
- 42% of the UK’s electricity came from renewable energy in the first quarter of 2021, while 33% came from fossil fuels
- The government aims to move households away from gas boilers and on to heat pumps that use electricity.
Read the full article here.